Sunday, July 8, 2012

Chawanmushi

I cooked for a few friends last night and thought I'd have a go at a Japanese theme.

After much Googling, I settled on chawanmushi, a steamed egg custard, for a starter. I've only had the Japanese style once (at Tao's in Bulleen) but had never made it myself. It turned out pretty well, albeit a little overcooked. Next time I'll keep it on a lower heat.

Ingredients
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups stock
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp mirin
  • 1 tsp rice wine
  • 3 small shitaki mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp dried daikon, finely chopped

Method
  • Beat eggs, then add stock.
  • In a separate bowl, combine salt, sugar, soy sauce, mirin and rice wine until salt and sugar dissolve. Stir into the egg mixture.
  • Place shitaki and daikon in the bottom of each ramekin, ladle egg mixture over. Fill up to 2 thirds up the ramekin (it will rise as it steams).
  • Steam for approximately 10 minutes on a medium heat, until egg is set.


No comments:

Post a Comment