Sunday, September 25, 2011

Drunken Butter Scallops


A Japanese dish that always seems to stand out for me is 'asari sake' (Kobe Restaurant, Doncaster) or 'asari butter' (Izakaya Chuji, Melbourne) - pipis (cockles) in a sake and butter broth. The smooth nuttiness of the butter and the strong almost acidic flavours of the sake blend together to create a whole new depth of flavour.

So with a handful of scallops leftover from my quiche last weekend, and memories of the two dishes in mind, I decided to attempt the dish with what ingredients I had in my kitchen. It worked surprisingly well, although I don't think I'll be repeating it again with scallops. Pipis are definitely the way to go!

Ingredients
  • 100g fresh scallops (I left the roe attached, but you can remove it if you want)
  • 50g butter
  • 50ml Chinese rice wine
  • 50 - 100ml water (add more if turning this into a soup)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Method
  • Lightly season scallops with salt and pepper.
  • In a heated pan, melt in half the butter.
  • Sear scallops in the hot melted butter.
  • When scallops are par-cooked, pour in rice wine. Gently swirl pan to mix the butter and rice wine together.
  • As liquid starts to evaporate, add in remaining butter, then pour in water.
  • Season with black pepper.

drunken butter scallops

No comments:

Post a Comment